Iris (Nadine Lustre) and Basti (James Reid) fought for their love in the face of their parents’ conflicts. After all the challenges, they are now married and so comes their happily ever after, right? Well, not quite. Basti grew up independent and free-spirited, while Iris’s mom, Cass (Carmina Villaroel), is a hard-working single mom whose life revolved around taking care of her children. Both love Iris tremendously. Put them in one house and they will surely clash. After all, a marriage, no matter how perfect, always has its trials. And getting along with the mother-in-law is one of those issues which many Filipino couples, who choose to live with the in-laws, are quite familiar with.
So now that Iris and Basti are living on their own, let’s roundup the 8 “Basti versus Cass” moments which prove that the mother-in-law struggle is real.
1. Living with Cass is taking its toll on Basti and he can’t keep it from Iris anymore. After some prodding, he finally admits to Iris that he finds it hard to live with her mother.
2. Basti opens up to his Uncle Pilo (William Lorenzo) about his struggles with Cass. Pilo tells his nephew that his problem is to be expected because parents will always think that they know what’s best for their children. He also points out that the conflicts will only escalate the longer Basti and Iris stays under Cass’s roof.
3. Iris and Basti discuss who between the two of them would be the best one to talk to Cass about their plans of moving out.
4. Since it was his decision that he and Iris should move out of Cassandra’s house, Basti makes it his duty to be the one to tell his mother-in-law of their plan. But he gets sidetracked when Lolo Soc (Noel Trinidad) unexpectedly appears.
5. Otap accidentally reveals to Cassandra Iris and Basti’s plan of moving to another house.
6. Basti and Iris question Kelly (Kim Molina) and Otap regarding how Cass prematurely found out about their plans. Otap admits he is to blame and explains that he just didn’t know that it should still be kept a secret from Iris’s mom.
7. Cass confronts Basti and Iris about their plans to leave her house and that she was the last to know about it. She tells the newly wed how much they have hurt her as a mother and accuses Basti of completely stealing Iris away from her.
8. Basti and Iris initiate a heart-to-heart talk with Cass. Basti clarifies that he understands how Cass feels about Iris. He also apologizes to Cass for making her feel as if he is taking away her daughter from her and explains that, as a married couple, they just want to be able to stand on their own. Basti once more reassures Cass of how much he loves Iris.